University of Redlands Mens Golf Team Gains Golf Digests #1 Golf First Ranking for Division III
University of Redlands Men's Golf Team
Gains Golf Digest's #1 "Golf First" Ranking for Division
August 20, 2006
The University of Redlands men's golf team landed at the top of the rankings for the "Golf First" category of Golf Digest's College Golf Guide, it has been announced. Based on five criteria, the Bulldogs boast the best mark in all of Division III.
The five criteria include the following:
- A college golf team's adjusted scoring average
- Player growth while on the team, based on the number of players on the roster during the last four seasons who lowered their adjusted scoring average, as well as the team's combined improvement or decline
- Academics, based on the U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" guidebook
- Climate, provided by Longitudes Group and measure the school's 30-year average of playable days from September 1 to May 31
- Coaches and facilities, based on coaches' experience and past performance and quality of campus-affiliated courses and practice facilities
The Bulldogs finished second in Division III for the third-consecutive year under the guidance of Head Coach Art Salvesen, who looks forward to his eighth season at Redlands. The men's golf team also won the conference championship three times in the last four years (2003, 2005, and 2006).
The College Golf Guide will be in the September issue of Golf Digest, available on newsstands on August 8.
For Division I, UCLA's men's team and Duke's women's team earned the top rankings, while Rollins College (FLA) earned the #1 spot for Division II. To view a complete list, along with additional information on the rankings, please access Golf Digest.